Thursday 3 December 2015

~ Responsive - studio brief one - Leeds Print Fair - final prints ~

Initial ideas for my screen prints are - 

- Letters (for people to buy their initials or as a gift)
- Ampersand - appeals to a creative audience but can be bought by all (non specific)
- Inspirational quotes
- Illustrations
- Portraits
- Minimal shapes (geometrical designs - could come as a set of 3)

I wanted my prints to double up as self promotional pieces - the ones not sold here could be sent out to potential employers and clients.


This is my first of the three designs. I chose to go down the route of self promotion and getting myself noticed. Due to this I wanted to show my personal style of illustration as something I could provide. I went for something complex that you could stare at for a long time appreciating the details; making it appropriate to hang on someone's wall. Because Munro House and it's visitors are mainly other creatives I felt adding in the typography would add to its appeal to this target audience. I made this print square format as its much more unusual when it comes to poster design which makes it stand out more.


I used a marbling screen print technique that involved running different colours of ink through the screen on one print. This made each variation of the print completely bespoke adding to its value making sure the customers felt each print was personal to them.




I also experimented with variations of brightly coloured stock; this meant the customers could choose a print according to their aesthetic preferences or the colours used within their home.


For my second print I chose to use the word 'think' I feel it's simple yet inspirational and perfect for say someone's office environment. I once again chose to use my illustration skills. I created this one at a4 format so it would be cheaper and people a little short for cash could still have an option.





I once again used the marble technique so each print was bespoke and experimented with stock choices so people had a free range to choose from.


My 3rd design is an ampersand; I chose this as its typographic and directly informed by the creative audience but it's not specific to any certain person like letters would of been. I wanted this print to be a lot less intricate than the illustrative ones so it showed off the beautiful variations and textures created by the marble effect. 




The clean bold design allowed the marble effect to be really effective. Each looks hand painted making it really clear it was traditionally printed rather than digitally.


The print fair was really successfull and I sold lots of prints and got myself some brilliant exposure within the local arts community. It gave me a chance to show off my style and also get to know the organisers of the exhibitions and various events in Leeds. I have also gone on to send out samples of these prints to design agencies to help make contacts further afield in the design industry.









No comments:

Post a Comment