Thursday 17 December 2015

~ Secret 7 - Jack Garratt - design ~


As Jack Garrett is still a small artist just finding his feet and 'brand' within the music industry it's important to try best capture his look within the design. He iconically wears snapbacks within most of his photoshoots as his recognisable feature I felt it was appropriate to include this within the illustration. 



This is my initial illustration for the design. I created small shapes and patterns within the portrait to represent the 'worry' and thoughts going through his head (also included a thought bubble to reinforce this.




These are a few of my colour experiments; colors such as yellow didn't work as they weren't informed well enough by the underlying meaning of the song (too happy/positive). The use of blue was better informed as it has connotations of sadness/loneliness. 





I decided rather than vectoring the illustration I would use colour selection as this meant when colouring it would pick up some of the natural grain/imperfections created when the image was scanned giving the image a natural grain/worn look. I inverted the image so it was white illustration on a hazy black background; this gives the look/feel of isolation which is relevant and appropriate to how Jack described the meaning of the song itself. I think this design is well informed and executed as it's both a homage to the artist himself and informed by his thoughts on the song. 

No comments:

Post a Comment