Wednesday 16 December 2015

~ Secret 7 - Jack Garratt - initial ideas~


My nights are broken up by the sounds of women I’ll never meet
And when my eyes are closed I can start to feel you staring at me
The right side of my bed has always left me feeling stuck in between (Oh, oh, oh, oh)
Everything I know and all the lies I tell myself so I can sleep

Pick apart the pieces you left
Don’t you worry about it, don’t you worry about it
Try and give yourself some rest
And let me worry about it, let me worry about it

You came around to say that you’ve been away, like I hadn’t known
As if I don’t wake up every single day not seeing you go
As if this moon of ours only shines a half to make me feel whole
As if I haven’t felt your breath in every step I take when the wind blows

Pick apart the pieces you left
Don’t you worry about it, don’t you worry about it
Try and give yourself some rest
And let me worry about it, let me worry about it
[x2]

(Oh, oh, oh, oh) (worry)
(Oh, oh, oh, oh) (worry)
(Oh, oh, oh, oh) (worry)
(Oh, oh, oh, oh) (worry)
(Oh, oh, oh, oh) (worry)
(Oh, oh, oh, oh) (worry)
(Oh, oh, oh, oh) (worry)

Pick apart the pieces you left
Don’t you worry about it, don’t you worry about it
Try and give yourself some rest
And let me worry about it, let me worry about it
(Worry) (Worry)
(Worry) (Don’t you worry)


I began my exploration of this track by looking into the current aesthetic Jack Garrett's design work follows. He hasn't really got a set brand style as his website and album artwork differ significantly. The album artwork above is a loose illustrative style that expresses the personal depth of his music well. I also looked into the song lyrics to further understand the meaning behind the song.




http://www.gigwise.com/features/99939/jack-garratt-worry-lyrics-explained-and-the-story-behind-it

I came across this video of Jack explaining his thoughts whilst writing the song to give me an accurate sense of direction for the design. "worry is about obsessing and not coming to terms with the fact someone is over you and telling yourself they're not." - it's a selfish yet relatable song that's very personal to Jack's experiences in life.



Album covers often capture the 'self obsessive' nature we have as humans that Jack refers to in his analysis of the songs meaning. I found some examples of more unusual album covers depicting the artists as they are most commonly photographic yet these are beautifully illustrated. For this reason I felt this approach to the sleeves design would be appropriate.


'Worry' and chaos particularly when it comes to love and relationships is something that's difficult to visually depict as its so irrational and complex. I find Keith Haring's illustrations (particularly the one above) seem to express a certain accuracy level of this expression well. The complexity of lines, shapes and pattern visually represents the different irrational and often deluded thoughts that Jack Garrett's song expresses. I do have my own personal style of illustration that is often the result of erratic and random brainwaves as a form of expression; this could be adapted and put in context to the song and be appropriate for this design.





No comments:

Post a Comment