Thursday 25 February 2016

~ Secret 7 - Tame impala ~

This next song is Tame Impala - The less I know the better



Historically Tame Impala's music videos are very impacting visually, bright colours, trippy visuals and animation. So a good starting point for me was to watch the music video from the specific song and others from the album to get the overall idea of their style. The video has a psychedelic and un-relality theme throughout this is something I shall consider within my design.











I took screen grabs from the video I found visually stimulating and interesting to possibly use as references in the final design. 




The style of some of the illustrative elements of the video make me think of this iconic Sonic Youth album cover, the style of which is simple and 'messy'; its really appealing and possibly something to consider when illustrating myself.


This is the cover art for the album the song comes from. The bright colours and optical illusion style patterns suggest an alternate reality/trippy aesthetic. The design instantly draws you in and distinctively hints towards the style of music and positive feel to the songs.




My first experiment was to literally take the track itself and convert it into a visual. I used the mp3 of the song, converted into a RAW file and when opened in Photoshop this is what is created. The chaotic and hypnotising visuals are extremely relevent to the musical style and really interesting to look at.


I experimented further with the image, focusing in closer on parts and creating a vectored/clean image from this. 


The alternate of creating a vectored image was to embrace the blurred/pixelated nature of the image as a fuzzy mass of colours. I feel when you look at this image it moves around and almost looks liquid which is a really interesting and un-expected outcome.


This next experiment is based upon the storyline within the music video, the banana being a key element within this. 



These are some initial digital experiments, combining imigery from the music video, hypnotic (op art) style aesthetics and bright, bold colours.


This is a sketch done using the music video as a visual reference and the Sonic Youth album cover as a source of aesthetic inspiration. I feel its interesting and definitely eye catching (possibly due to its sexual/shock factor nature). 





No comments:

Post a Comment