Tuesday 2 December 2014

Photo frame production (OUGD405)

I was feeling pretty stuck for ideas so I asked some people for their advice on my ideas so far. It was suggested I look at the word organic. I did a mind map and came up with the idea of possibly creating patterns with vegetables.


This is my first attempt at creating a pattern but it just didn't look good at all, I didn't have the right things or ways of photographing it.


I decided to create my images for Urban Outfitters frames and I tried the initials in vegetables but it still looked rubbish.


I then moved on to creating the words out of things I could find around the house like the experiment above made from sticky notes.


So to do some further research I went to the Leeds Urban Outfitters store and saw that they sold vinyls which is something I am personally really interested in.


The best thing was they also sold photo frames for displaying vinyls. This gave me the idea I could create the backing paper for these as its something im interested in!



I started out by photographing the most interesting looking vinyls in my personal collection. I then used Photoshop to edit out the backgrounds so they could be moved around onto a clean white one instead.


Once I had all the vinyls with transparent backgrounds and easy to move around I had a lot to play around with composition wise. 


But first I wanted to give the vinyls more of an edgy and 'grunge' look to them to show the style of the shop. I used photoshop to fade the saturation and contrast to make them paler and I think this vintage look is effective for the style.


Above is my first final outcome. I reduced the faded look a little so the vinyls stood out. I added the text urban outfitters in between them, the text isn't very legible which I don't think is a bad thing as it shows the quirkiness and strength of the brand. I also included the size of the frame at the bottom (made for a 12inch vinyl).


I also played around with adding a texture and using overlay on Photoshop but it reduced the fade and was less effective than the other design. I decided for the other two designs I could make them for 10inch and 7inch vinyls.















No comments:

Post a Comment