Monday 14 March 2016

~ Product range distribution - gender questions ~

So I created a small survey (https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/BQZVJWX) in order to help me understand the issues behind my area of research and direct me into creating the most effective and informed solution possible.



1. I identify best with they pronouns as they feel the least connected to any idea of gender.

2. There wasn't necessarily an age that I realised as I'd never identified as my assigned birth gender, it was only around the age of 12 when I started verbally refusing to identify 
with gender until I finally stumbled on the label "non-binary" and have used that on/off with "genderqueer" and "genderfluid" for about 6 years.

3. I don't have a big dramatic coming out story, sadly. Around the same time as I was refusing to identify with gender was about the same time as I started telling my friends/family/teachers I use they pronouns - of which most of them to the this day still forget, trip up or decide not to use them as it "has been a while" (had this said to me only a few weeks back).

4. No and no. I remember trying a few times to bring it into conversation, using third person and first person examples, during secondary school but was either ignored or told I was wrong.

5. For primary school, it would have been nice to have light explanations of it, not necessarily in detail, of other genders/lack of gender and an overall larger disdain from categorising everything as "for boys" or "for girls".

6. A lot of situations could have improved my education: discussion of gender; explanation of the gender spectrum; realisations that people on a gender spectrum that do not identify as "one or the other" (Bull****) actually exist. Sadly none of this ever took place in my secondary school and I still doubt any of this happens in most if not all secondary schools still today.

7. Honestly, the younger the better. People are socially conditioned from a young age that there are only "boys" or "girls". This misinformation generally gets so far drilled into their tiny, developing brains that it can prove very difficult for many people to ever rebel the mentality and question or accept or respect that anything other exists - I believe this is one of the leading causes for hate and discrimination against trans* and intersex people.

8. Anything and everything. There's more than enough resources already out there it's just a matter of getting the education system to use them.

9. Support groups are good. An overall teaching of accepting each other at in education is a must to help combat ignorance.



MOST CHILDREN KNOW THEY ARE TRANSGENDER BY THE AGE OF 6. Stop branding the way your children identify.

No comments:

Post a Comment