Wednesday 16 March 2016

~ Secret 7 - tame impala ~

This is one of the 7 songs that initially I had the most ideas for but the execution of which had been unsure. But I realised after engaging with the competition last year and seeing the winners the more illustrative designs tended to win. My illustration skills are limited but I am able to experiment with digital illustration using Illustrator and Photoshop.

I re-watched the video and noticed the focus on facial expression and general expression of emotion between the two characters that gave me a better idea of the songs concept. I decided to illustrate two eyes one male and one female. The concept is that 'the eyes are the windows the the soul' its the best way of expressing emotion (love and lust).



These are the initial eye designs, I wanted the female to be less expressive as in the video she plays the more distant and dismissive role which is something I wanted to continue onto my cover design. 


The eyes on their own possibly look to plain, especially considering the bands overall feel and aesthetic is really colorful and eyecatching. This is an experiment I did combining the raw file of the song and the eye illustrations. Unfortunately I feel the eyes loose their detail and definition.


This is another experimentation combining more subtle influxes of bright colour within the image without distracting from the detail of the illustration. I wanted to show the combination of two colours both for aesthetic and to represent the coming together of two people (two souls). 



These are some further experimentations using repetitions of the two eyes for a much more hallucinogenic feel to the image which is something definitely apparent in the music and video making it informed directly and engaging. 




I think the use of multiple eyes is really effective as no-matter what angle you view it from you feel like you are being looked at back. This is the final design I have decided to submit for this song. It demonstrates a conceptual view of lust and obsession that surrounds teen love depicted in the music video. The warped look and overall hypnotic feel is very relevant to the style of music and overall 'psychedelic' aesthetic Tame Impala usually go for with their work. This is my final submission for this song. 

No comments:

Post a Comment