Thursday 15 January 2015

Designing for studio brief 4

The first part of my nudist starter pack I need to design is the information and events leaflet. I looked at examples of leaflets and guides online for inspiration.



I found this example of a coffee guide. I particularly liked the stock this has been printed on. Its brown and looks really natural and organic, I could use this to reflect the idea of being close to nature. The printer we have to use can take up to 400gsm paper so it would be nice to find some quite thick brown stock to print on.


I wanted my kit to be aimed at a young audience (18-25). This meant the branding would have to correlate with this idea. Personally when I think of young attractive styles I think of Urban Outfitters and similar shops (this could even be a place to sell this kind of product). I had already looked at the image above in a previous brief but the design had really struck me. Pattern is something I feel is appealing to a young audience and something I could use as part of the packs branding.


I found this package branding for ''eco undies''. I really love the idea of it being in a brown paper lunch bag, this is really interesting and great looking. I also like the wrap around label idea, I could apply this label style to my towel. I like that its done on brown paper, it instantly gives it a natural and down to earth look that I am going for.


As I really liked the organic and interesting idea of using a paper bag to package things I found this net for making paper bags. I could create a design to go onto this and print it onto brown paper and I think it would look really effective.



To start my design I created a wiggle and used it to create a repeat pattern. I went with curved shapes to create the pattern as being naked in public is not a straightforward (normal) thing to do and I think this reflects this. 


I felt the pattern was too close together and looked a little like an illusion so I put more space between them and it looked much more friendly. I added a blue box to give it colour so it looked more approachable. I used Futura for the type as I feel like its an easily legible and modern looking font. I want the design style to appeal to a young audience as much as possible.


In the crit one thing everyone said is that I needed to make the rules and etiquette very clear as its the part people would be most nervous about when wanting to try nudist culture. I used the same pattern for my spreads but reduced the opacity to make sure the type was legible.


Next I used the British naturist website to find out about some naturist clubs and wrote brief information about some of them. I included the web address at the bottom so people could find out more information.



The next spreads are on beaches and swimming places as a lot of people said they'd rather be naked in this kind of environment than a club where they'd expect people to be more experienced and they'd feel less comfortable.


I next included a brief overview of some naturist events for February, the idea being when people join the British naturist society they could receive one of these packs/leaflets and it would be an easy way to know where to start.



Lastly I summed up the leaflet and wrote about what was in the rest of the package.


And this is the last page, I increased the opacity again so that the front and back covers matched and stood out.


For stock I want to use brown/kraft paper so I did a mockup of what I hope for it to look like when printed. I think this gives it a close to nature and organic feel which reflects the lifestyle of naturists well.


Next I created some labels for each of the things I will include in the package following the same style/aesthetic. They're all the same size as most things are for little bottles or packets. I then decided to change my mind and take inspiration from the wrap around label on the underwear branding for the towel.

This is my design for the towels label, I made tabs so it could be secured around a rolled up towel. I tried to use clever phrases under each label to keep it light for example 'it would be rude not to' because the towel is the golden rule of naturism and it's considered rude not to use one.


Last thing I designed to go in the package is a free ticket to a swim event, this could easily be editable depending on the event.

Overall I am happy with this package, I think the branding will appeal to an young audience and it will be interesting to see it printed. If this package was produced I could see it either being a novelty gift item in lighthearted shops like Urban Outfitters and Hawkins Bazaar or as a tool the British nudist society could use to recruit members. They could hand it out at freshers fayres, use it as a welcome gift etc.














No comments:

Post a Comment