Monday 12 January 2015

Studio brief 4 (ideas and research) OUGD405

For this brief I need to look back at the research I did on Egon Schiele for studio brief 2. I need to identify a problem within this that can be solved by a product/leaflet/poster of some sort that I can design and package. To come up with ideas I did a mini crit with a few people to get their input. The ideas discussed were...
1. There is an issue with people being offended by nude art in galleries, I could create a pair of glasses or an app that puts clothes on famous nude works of art. This seems like a good and comedic idea but it could be hard as theres such a large amount of nude art.
2. According to the statistics I collected a lot of people want to get naked and engage in nudist activities but would be nervous and self conscious to take the first step into doing this, I could create some sort of starter package that eased people into this lifestyle. Include things like moisturizer, sun lotion and a guide to nudist events.

I decided that the second idea is the most approachable and interesting, I think that seen as 55% of people would like more opportunities to get nude in public theres clearly a market for this kind of product. I need to look further into the topic to find out the kind of things people would want in a package like this.



As direct research into this I emailed some UK naturist companies and asked them what kind of things they would expect to see in a package like this as they are the people who know best of course.

The link above is for the British naturist website, this has lots of information on it about nudism and the places and events you can practice this kind of thing. I could easily use this to create a programme guide on events as part of my starter pack.

I wanted to come up with some good ideas for things to include so I looked at some websites and forums on nudism to see what other people thought.



I found a great blog on nudist etiquette, this in an important thing id like to include in my leaflet for people who wouldn't know how to act. http://thewellwrittenwoman.com/nudist-etiquette/#.VLOcYIqsU5g


I also asked the question on Yahoo answers. It was really helpful to get answers off strangers.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/my-daughter-the-teenage-nudist/on-demand/52602-001 I also watched this documentary on naturism. The main focus of this was how its something thats dying out and its the older generations that usually take part. There are people trying to recruit the younger generation into taking part. It would be interesting to aim my starter pack at younger people to try get them involved. This would effect the aesthetic of my design, I would keep it fresh and up to date looking to attract the right people. In the documentary I noticed a lot of body painting going on as a part of it so paint is something I could include in my pack to keep it fun.


I also asked the class on Facebook for their opinions. I think the idea of a healthy snack is good as many eating places around nudist beaches and resorts are not as open minded.
  • Information and event guide
  • Sun screen
  • Towel
  • Moisturizers and body scrub (labelled ''a dose of confidence'')
  • Snacks (healthy)
The interim crit was also really helpful for ideas. People said the information on etiquette and the law needed to be clear so people wouldn't be confused and could be comforted in knowing the proper way to go about being naked in public. Ideas for the starter pack included...

  • An adam and eve theme
  • Modesty patches/sorong type clothing
  • Nude underwear
  • Flip flops
  • Body paint
  • Vouchers for nudist events


No comments:

Post a Comment