Sunday 15 February 2015

Book binding - study task 4 (OUGD404)

Study task 4 was to learn 3 binding methods then to photograph them using continuous lighting. 



This first binding method is called a concertina fold book with hardback coverers. I liked this method but I think if it was too many pages long it could be inconvenient to read so I don't think I will choose it for my book. I did really like the professional and clean look of the hardback covers and they might be something to consider for my book.



The next binding method we tried was a Japanese stitch bind, this left some really interesting and beautiful patterns with the stitches which I really liked so using this for my book could be very attractive the only problem is the pages are bound really tight so the pages are hard to open fully. 


I wanted my pages to open as flat as possible so you could see the layout well and it didn't affect the legibility as I wanted this to only be effected by the other design choices. I came across open spine binding this looks beautiful and allows the pages to open flat. I also like how the exposed spine relates to content being about exposing conspiracies and secrets so it seems quite relevant. Below are some tutorials on how to bind this way.
http://www.tortagialla.com/2010/08/16/chain-or-coptic-stitch-bookbinding-tutorial/
http://www.mollybrooks.com/wordpress/?p=302




The last binding type we tried was a saddle stitch. This was the easiest stitch too do and therefore looked the neatest. This could also be a good option for my book as it would be a shame to print everything then ruin it by attempting a binding method too complicated to execute well. 


The book binding was really fun and interesting and helped me in exploring binding types to use for my own book. The continuous lighting tutorial was also helpful as now I know how to photograph my work appropriately when I finish future briefs.






No comments:

Post a Comment