Thursday 26 February 2015

Design principles brief (OUGD404)

For this brief I have decided to write myself a more direct brief outlining the things that individualise my project/book from others.

Studio brief

Produce a set of 10 double page spreads, bound appropriately to express the message and content within the book. Consider how the book also needs to show form, function and construction of a book throughout.

Include a contents page and introduction to the content.

The content is conspiracy theories, consider how this could inform design decisions (legibility, grid, type). 

Background/considerations

The purpose of the brief is to show understanding of book production and use of layout and typesetting. Each decision must be well informed by content and research to prove understanding of these things.

Consider the nature of the content material and how this creates an effect.

My Proposal

Content- The content of my book is conspiracy theories, I have sourced all my information and body copy content online in articles stating facts about each conspiracy that give evidence they could be true. 

Printing- I will use glow in the dark screen printing, white ink screen printing, embossing and possibly black ink screen printing or ink jet printing.

Binding- I will use open spine stitch binding to ensure the book opens flat therefore the braille is easily read and the open spine represents 'exposing truths'. If possible I will combine this with a concertina fold so my braille spreads can be double sided.

Stock- I will use bright white stock as I want my book to look pretty much white all the way through even with the ink on top. I'm unsure of the gsm as I don't know if open stitch and concertina can be combined. For the last chapter I want to use acetate but i'm currently unsure if you can fold this stock and if not I need to find out if you can open spine bind single sheets.  

Format- A5, I think a smaller publication seems more secretive and can be hidden away.

Time management- week 1- Find out if my book is possible (printing & binding) then book production slots where necessary 

week 2- Begin to design the InDesign file for my book 

week 3- Finish InDesign file and buy stock

week 4- Emboss and screen print book 

week 5- Ink jet the black finishing touches onto the book

week 6- Bind book

week 7- Finish everything off (design boards etc.)



No comments:

Post a Comment