Thursday 5 February 2015

Secret 7 interim crit

This crit was a new way of doing things. We had to lay out the designs we had created so far and write questions we wanted answering about them, then the class went around each others work answering each question. (apologies for the bad photos)


Q1. Can you tell which song it is?
Most people guessed correctly which song it is and a few were unsure, either way this is a good result. I wanted the design to relate to the song well but not be blindingly obvious which is why I chose not to include imagery from the video too closely.

Q2. Do you feel uncomfort when looking at this image?
Theres was mixed opinions on this question as some people thought it was pretty gross and gory but everyone said this gave it a shock factor that was really bold and effective. Im really happy people like the goriness of these images and I hope the judges have the same opinion as I wanted my message to be bold.

Q3. Do you think the colour is appropriate?
The answer in all cases was yes because it relates to the colours used in the video. There was some suggestions to do some experiments with the background colour but I didn't want to edit this in photoshop as id have to use the selection tool which would make the edges of the hand really sharp and it would look cut out. If I was to do the photoshoot again I would experiment with more than one background colour.


Q4. Should I try a more abstract design?
Everyone answered no to this question, they said a lot of entries would be abstract and mine being clear and bold photography was different and gave it an edge. They said being more abstract could blur the message and being bold and strong was a good way of designing for this song.

Q5. White border or full bleed?
I was unsure for the photographed designs what looked better full bleed or a white border. Everyone said a white border was more effective as it makes it look even bolder and you can tell its a vinyl design. This was the most helpful feedback as it was a decision I was struggling with.

Q6. Can you tell what it is?
Nobody could tell that this design was suppose to be hair and a lot thought it was a feather. This feedback was helpful as it made me decide not to enter or take this design further.



No comments:

Post a Comment