Sunday 10 April 2016

~ Collaborative practice - final evaluation ~

Brief evaluation

Overall this brief has completely opened my eyes to the possibilities of collaboration outside of my discipline (graphic design). Being able to offer individual skills as a designer to another creative and mutually benefit from their talents is brilliant. This whole brief has made me think differently about the ways I want to work in the future; discussion of opening an agency with other designers has always been there. But the idea of opening something multidisciplinary where everyone has their area of expertise now seems a lot more logical. 

Working with Jazz worked really well in terms of choosing a good collaboration. We were both able to set ourselves specific roles and tasks to fulfill throughout the project. We also shared skills and taught each other things; for example working together on the final screen printing and filming of the presentation. We were able to equally share responsibility for the final product and I feel the overall team dynamic couldn't of worked any better. She is someone I will definitely collaborate with in the future and this brief has taught me how well I can work alongside illustrators and the positive impact they have on my practice.

One element of the final product that could of been improved upon was the stock choice. We should of produced more prototypes before deciding on this as the product could of been improved with a more durable/foldable stock choice. Despite this being a negative it can be used as a learning point to improve upon in future briefs.

The brief was all about the concept of bravery and each element explored and executed within the brief was informed by this. The decision to screen print the final box was to express a more hands on approach to design that displays bravery. This is not only something that we successfully showed within this brief but also a new way of thinking I will take on in all areas of my design practice from now on. I think it's important to think out of the box specifically when it comes to print/finishing techniques as its much more impactful and different to standard digitally printed pieces.

In previous collaborations through the year i've worked solely with other graphic design students so I was apprehensive about this brief as it was something very new to me.  I was surprised and happy with how much I really enjoyed this as it's probably been the most enjoyable brief i've taken on this year. The concept and initial ideas (particularly use of an unusual target audience) were really strong which allowed us to produce something I feel will stand out among the other submissions for the competition. I am proud to display this within my portfolio as it shows such a large range of skills including...typeface design, layout, illustration, screen printing, film and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment