Monday 16 May 2016

~ Licence to print money - digital designs ~

My concept is to depict 4 elements of the class system illustrated onto each banknote. I will use source images from Google to get an idea of visual 'looks' for the individuals.



Due to the topic of class systems being quite heavy and serious I want to use satirical effect within my illustration to make them as positive and comical as possible. For my 5 pound note I have chosen to use images of classic Jeremy Kyle guests as my sources.




This is the initial illustration for the 5 pound note design; using Jeremy Kyle as a reference point. I used an illustration tablet & Photoshop to produce the design. This allows me to create something bespoke and not too 'digital' in appearance. Looking back at my research producing the design like this would make it much harder to reproduce which is important when thinking of it as a real currency. 

This is my design for the working class ten pound note; I wanted to represent the typical professions considered to be working class. Including police, nurse, fire service, butcher, baker, office worker etc.



The design for middle class was difficult as many business type people within this class have no specific outfit etc. that makes them recognisable. But I tried to portray this through surgeons, graphic designers, scientists, business people etc.


Lastly for the design of the 50 pound note I chose to illustrate upper class 'icons' and recognisable figures in popular culture considered to be rich. Such as the Queen, David Cameron and Kim Kardashian. 



I did some brief research into colour theory as the brief specifies the print must be at least 2 colours. I wanted to choose colours that are bright, eye catching and positive to create the satirical and comical feel to the designs. I decided blue was appropriate as it suggests professionalism and money/banking which is relevant to the serious element of the topic. Then to contrast this and add some positivity I chose a bright yellow; overall this contrasting combination grabs attention and gives a happy feel allowing the audience to see the comical side to them. 



With the application of a second colour I decided to keep with the illustrative style. Highlighting certain areas in a casual 'outside the lines' manor. The casual approach reinforces the comical aspect of the designs informed by the overall concept. 



I decided to use the formats/dimensions used by current UK banknotes; informed by the idea that you are more important within society if you are higher class.











The designs for the backs of the banknotes will have selected individuals from the front design on - they also have type on that reinforces the overall concept of them. Each is labelled with its monetary value and its class system.

The overall designs are fresh, bright and instantly eyecatching. The positive vibe they give off allows the audience to see the comical and satirical tone of voice within the design whilst also appreciating the seriousness of the concept. I took this brief as less of an opportunity to create currency but alternatively an opportunity to make a political statement about the segregation of class in the UK. I think the design appropriately communicates the concept in an appealing and attractive way. 




No comments:

Post a Comment