Monday 20 October 2014

Interim crit (OUGD403)

Interim crit


After the last crit I decided the other (African) culture based typeface was the idea I decided to take forward for the next brief. I then needed to draw a few more letters according to this idea. The image above are what I drew. The A is the original design I presented in the last crit and I still really like this design.

The W was created by using my grid I drew and I really like this as it has overlapping lines and an extra stroke over one side, this asymmetrical and geometrical feel looks really good. 

The designs for the F and Z look really good as singular designs but I don't like the gaps in them, in taking these forward I would like to modify them to make them look more alike the A and the W.


Some of the feedback I got from the crit was that the letters looked rather like German art deco style. I found the image above of this kind of style and I really like it. 
I am particularly finding it difficult looking for ideas for the letter S as I want to keep it geometrical with little curves, but some of the sketches I have done look a little bit alike nazi symbols which I wouldn't want to risk. But the type above has a really interesting letter S that I could take some inspiration from.


Another piece of feedback I got was that my ideas looked quite similar to a font one of my class members had looked at called WoodWarrior. I really like this font and it definitely shows a similar tribal feel like I am aiming to create. I will definitely take inspiration from this font. Particularly again the letter S is really interesting and simple yet geometric.


The gif above shows the WoodWarrior typeface in a sentence. This shows this typeface is definitely more appropriate for header text rather than body copy. I think in my typeface it would also be more of a header font but I want to try make it look slightly more legible by keeping the letters simple and not too far from their original form.

I found this crit really helpful, people agreed the letters with no gap were more fitting to the theme and gave me some great sources for further inspiration.





No comments:

Post a Comment