Tuesday 21 April 2015

Design principles - final crit OUGD404

Final crit and evaluation

Looking back on the study tasks leading up to this brief I realise how key they were to informing the design and production of the final book. My understanding of the grid, typesetting and practical skills in bookbinding were all essential to this project and will continue to influence my practice throughout the course.

For the final crit we layout out our books around the room with questions we wanted answers to next to them to help us evaluate the success of the final pieces. 

My first question was... What do you think of the layout?

My feedback was...


  • I instantly thought that it was extremely difficult to read however as I began to understand what the book was about I realised it was an extremely clever and creative link. I think that if you were to further develop this id suggest maybe funding a way to make the reader actually be able to read it e.g. have a sheet of black card under the white text that the reader can put there to figure it out, just like you would a conspiracy theory. 
  • The layout works really well with the context of the book and I really like the almost secret message and that its hard to see. However on some pages I feel there might be too much type, but most work really well.
  • I like the layout a lot, initially when reading I understood nothing but as I got to the end the meaning of the book became apparent and I think you've done it really well.
  • I believe its a good layout works really well, all the type is beautifully set and the way the pages contrast gives a great feel to its overall print.
  • The pages of content work really well with the layout but the contents page needs a little work to sharpen it up.
  • The layout is very modernist which works well. Perhaps could be made more interesting in some way. The contents page needs a bit of work maybe by changing type sizes and adding more space would work well.
  • Has a very professional look, really works well, it has a clean and readable layout, I like the idea of conspiracy theories.
  • Very sophisticated.
  • I like how you altered the column width for the contents page from the actual content itself. This sets it apart and the typeset looks great.
My next question was... Do you think the printed braille is appropriate? If not what process would be more appropriate?

  • Yes, as the link is effective as conspiracy theories are sometimes hard to understand, similar to your layout.
  • The braille is appropriate, possibly you should have looked at embossing the braille so it looked like the real thing.
  • It is fantastic as a concept however at the early stages there is little to no evidence of the content making it hard to see its relevance. When explained later on its fantastic.
  • I like the idea behind it but it could've been embossed to replicate actual braille.
  • It's a good idea and fits the purpose however maybe another method could of been done so we could attempt to read it. But its cleverly done!
  • I like the braille idea but would be awesome if it was functional it would have an actual audience.
  • Yes, the braille is appropriate - its intriguing, I'm guessing this is what you're after? Makes me want to find out what it says!
Do you think the lack of images work?

  • It depends really on who your audience is. Personally I would've liked to see more images. If you make clear who your audience is I don't think it really matters.
  • I really like the type only and how you've used different stock choices has made it interesting and really creative. I like how designs look like they are secret messages. I think this would be hard to do with images.
  • I think it works because I don't believe the use of images throughout the book would have worked with the overall theme of the book.
  • Due to the 'hearsay' nature of the content the lack of imagery is perfectly justified. Also I feel you have compensated for this with style and stock choices.
  • Type only is really great and the subtle image on the front which I initially didn't see but as a texture is really nice.
  • It's the kind of book that doesn't need images as it has a strong idea behind it so it kind of speaks for itself. 
  • Yes, images wouldn't have worked as well as type and the layout us much more suited to purely text.
  • yes, you clearly used other ways of creating visual appeal such as stock, different prints, tone etc.
  • I think images would have spoilt the aesthetic, and I like how you avoided colour. This focuses the concept through the various print methods which is very well done.
Other comments...

  • Really impressive piece of work, however would like to be given context earlier on to appreciate it from the very start.
  • Using the different types of stock is really nice and appropriate to the different content.
  • Could do with an explanation behind the concept as I mostly got it but not entirely. However not being an explanation does actually fit with the concept. 
  • I'd like to know the purpose as I don't understand what its about but maybe thats the point. An intro would help.
  • I think the concept is explained through its difficulty to read the pages. I like how it makes you interact with it. I'd maybe add a page between the two acetate pages so I have more of a chance of reading the last page of 'Princess Diana'.
 After taking all this feedback into consideration I am really happy with my final book. Looking back if I had more time and a bigger budget I would love to make some amendments and see if peoples comments would change. My biggest worry would be that people wouldn't like the braille printed and many people said it was still effective but would be better embossed. Unfortunately it was my budget that prevented this from being possible and is something I would do with more money. From the feedback if I was to change to book i'd have the braille section in the middle rather than the beginning so the content and concept of the book was more obvious. I would also change the layout of the contents page by making the type smaller and organising the space better. Next I would create a pocket at the front or back of the book with black card insert in to be place in the middle of the acetate. And lastly I would add a description page at the beginning to fully introduce the concept of the book; I think i'd create this printed in lemon juice to keep the secretive theme and print black ink on top telling the reader to heat to reveal the message. 

From the feedback I felt the design decisions I made for the book were really successful as I didn't need to tell anyone the book was suppose to be secretive and purposefully hidden due to the nature of the content people just worked this out for themselves. I also love that people clearly noticed and appreciated the time and effort I had put into making the typesetting as neat and perfect as I could possibly get it.

It is a real shame that budget effected certain areas negatively and that I don't have the time now to amend the book but despite this my book is clearly a success as people had really positive things to say about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment