Tuesday 28 April 2015

Reflective practice - final




My 3rd and last why is made up out of bottle caps to once again represent one of my vices and the concept of turning negative into positive.

Once I had all 3 I was unsure how to lay them all out effectively so that the titles and the body copy both stand out as both are equally as important in showing the concept.


This was one layout experiment. I had to reduce the width of my column for this one and it only has 4 or 5 words per line which I didn't like. I wanted to demonstrate the most effective and legible layout I could to inspire and inform the freshers so this layout didn't seem appropriate.


Secondly I tried typesetting the body copy around the title images so they interacted with each other. Instead of being effective as I had hoped it just overcrouded the layout and took away the simplicity.


I also tried the thinner paragraph places differently but still didn't think having it so thin demonstrated what I have learnt over the past year well enough.


My next experiment I had the titles running across the top and split up the body copy into three. I thought this was the most effective so far as your eye then naturally reads the type in the right order.

I did a mini crit of this new layout with people in the class. People liked the separation of the body copy and said it brought everything together nicely. But they said for more impact I should split it into 3 posters also that could be hung next to each other as they would seem like much bolder statements when separated.




These are my 3 final posters, designed to be displayed in a row next to each other for maximum impact. Splitting up the type means I can achieve the most legible number of words per line and have the type a large pt size so you're more likely to read it than when it was smaller. The hierarchy of the design means you are drawn in from afar by the unusual title type then encouraged to read the body copy which helps you understand the concept and will inform the first years about how important asking 'why' really is.




No comments:

Post a Comment