Monday 20 April 2015

Screen printed cover final (OUGD406)


This is the first separation of my two colour screen print. I did it in a really bright orange, I added a little fluorescent colour to make the most of using this printing method over digital where only cmyk is only possible.


This is my second separation, I didn't realise until it came to actually printing it that id made it really difficult for myself as lining each separation up had to be completely perfect. 


Another image of the second separation. 


I was undecided on what colour stock would look best for the screen prints so I decided to experiment with a few different ones. Above is the yellow experiment.


I came across a few different problems while screen printing, I wanted to get it looking as perfect as possible.


This photo shows an example of where the ink didn't fill the screen fully.


Shows how even when the screen is filled you get a slight un-even quality which I actually like as long as the edges are neat this looks effective.



The main difficulty I came across was the two separations not matching up as you can see above when this happens the top layer goes into the white type.


Orange stock experimentation.


Another image showing the separations not meeting up perfectly.


Grey experimentation.



More off separations.



Grey stock experimentation.



In the end I decided that the best stock was the bright white card. The colours really pop and look brightest when on this stock which in turn makes the type stand out from the background the most. Luckily out of around 20 experimental screen prints the one on white stock was the only one that printed perfectly both in registration and fully filling the screen.



This is a close up image showing just how perfectly lined up the two separations are, I'm really proud of how good this looks and it just shows how persistance pays off. This print is the one I plan to display in the final exhibition.



No comments:

Post a Comment