Wednesday 1 April 2015

Front cover experiments - design principles (OUGD404)

I wanted to start my book design with my book cover. I wanted to incorporate parts of the secretive nature of the inside of the book but still keep it bold. I decided I wanted the most part of my book to appear white but have my cover, contents page and information in black Helvetica so you know what the book is about before attempting to work out how to read it.



This first design is based upon the 9/11 conspiracy theory within the content of my book. The 'Shh" is a quiet swisse modernist, cropped composition and I extended the height of the ascenders so that they mimic the iconic twin towers. When printed the title would be black and the planes would be glow in the dark, almost as if you are discovering the darkness and secrets within the design and the book right from the start.

This next design shows a 'shh' image in glow in the dark ink with braille for the word 'shh' over the top. I didn't like this design as the braille being in black although interesting seemed pointless. I also wanted all the information in black ink to be really bold and give a clear message, braille would defeat this point.



This final design is the one I have chosen to use for my book. The moon image will be screen printed in glow in the dark ink and the type in black inkjet. At first sight you'll just see the black type creating a minimal and simple book cover design completely hiding the inside meaning of the book. To reveal the covers secrets you will have to see it in the dark, this shows the whole meaning and concept or having to reveal the books sections all before even opening the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment