Tuesday 14 April 2015

Design principles - production so far (OUGD404)

So far the production of my book has been incredibly stressful and theres been a lot of problems and changes been made but things are looking good.


Above shows just some of the experimentation i've done so far.


I started the books production by making a small mock up of how the pages will be bound together so I could work out the pagination when screen printing.


The first section of the book I printed was the glow the dark section. As you can see in the image above I had a lot of issues with the ink printing evenly but eventually I got the screen clear enough after some test prints on black scrap paper.


The final spreads using the glow in the dark ink were brilliant at looking completely white and invisible which is brilliant.


When you look at the pages from an angle in bright light you can see the type faintly. But unfortunately bad luck struck! The glow in the dark screen printing ink turns out to glow really faintly so when you go in the dark you cannot read this type at all making the idea (and around 9 hours of screen printing) pretty useless. Instead I have come up with an alternative method for this section, I will cut out gloss white vinyl stickers of the type and put them on the white stock so it can only be read from a certain angle.


Luckily the cover that I also printed in glow in the dark ink worked better as it spanned a larger surface. Once again it looks hidden most of the time.


But looked at from an angle the hidden moon is visible.



The images above show the positives I used to develop my screens, I made this on Illustrator with the aid of my initial mock up for pagination.




The next part was the most simple, I printed the black laser printed type onto my pages which luckily ran smoothly.


Last but not least I screen printed the white ink on acetate section of the book. My initial screen for this was completely ruined as I used some second hand ink which blocked my screen beyond repair. You can see in the image this ruined my prints making them un-usable. 



I started over again with a brand new screen and mixed new ink and luckily it printed perfectly! I was really happy with this as the pt size I chose seemed to be just big enough to print clearly and effectively.



When the prints are on top of white paper (which they will be when bound) the type is almost invisible which was the desired effect making these prints a huge success!


Things left to do
  • Do the vinyl cut section of the book
  • Do the embossed section of the book
  • Open spine bind the final 














No comments:

Post a Comment