Tuesday 21 April 2015

Speaking from experience - ideas










One of my initial idea for this brief came from the fact that during the first week of uni everything seemed pretty boring as it was all inductions and no actual design work. I wanted to created a lighthearted book about my friends drunk moments and funny quotes he has said throughout the year to show that things do get better! In a way this guy has been really inspiring to me throughout the year and its a way of showing how inspiration as a graphic designer rarely comes from looking at other peoples work, instead it comes from your environment, experiences and the people around you. Above you can see a mock up I did of how i'd like something like this to look. In the crit people thought this was an entertaining idea but it didn't relate close enough to the course and wouldn't inform the future freshers of anything really valuable and people said I should go with the idea of creating more informative posters.

My poster idea is that the thing thats managed to get me through a lot of stress this year are what I consider to be my bad habits and vices (smoking, drinking, coffee, sex etc.) and thats a personal way of coping I know a lot of people have adopted. The other idea is that at the beginning of the year I was very closed off to going out of my comfort zone when it came to things like postmodern design but now after this year i'm really wanting to push myself out of it. I love the idea of creating attractive and informed designs out of things that are considered bad, disgusting and ugly. These ideas have then merged into the idea to use my vices and turn them into positive messages that encourage next years freshers to try new things and make positives out of their own negatives.

Some of my initial ideas for quotes I could use on the posters include...

  • Let your vices inspire/inform you
  • Pretty isn't everything
  • Good design demands concept
  • Informed.
  • Why?
  • Don't play it safe
I want to make the type out of actual cigarette butts, coffee granules, condoms and possible bottle caps or something along those lines. I want the posters to be quite vulgar but make my type and layout choices create something attractive and beautiful especially from far away before you realise what its actually made up of.



Some brilliant inspiration for this idea are these offensive words spelt out in flowers. Its a similar concept but instead of good words in bad materials its the opposite. I really like the decorative typeface they have chosen to make the words in and I think using something similar for my project would create a brilliant contrast between the actual materials I will be using to make them.


Interestingly enough after coming up with this idea I found this image by Toiletpaper magazine. They are one company that has brought me out of doing 'safe' design and inspired me to try more daring projects. I like how the cigarettes contrast with the pink in this image and the addition of a colour background will be a consideration as it will add an extra element of positive feeling.

http://www.dafont.com/birds-of-paradise.font


I found this script typeface that I could take inspiration from for my final design. I like the idea of making it pretty sickly sweet to contrast as much as possible.


I did a quick sketch showing how it could look in this kind of style.



I then did a more refined sketch of the word 'why?' that I could try and follow for my poster design when laying out my materials. The idea behind why is that I think its the most important thing to always ask yourself. Why stick to the same style? Why that typeface? Why that colour? Asking these type of questions ensure your designs are informed which i think is the most important thing I've learnt to do in first year along with learning to step out of my comfort zone and experiment with new things more. I plan to include a small paragraph in the corner of the posters further explaining this idea.






No comments:

Post a Comment