Tuesday 21 April 2015

OUGD404 - design principles - Module evaluation

This module has been both the most challenging and most beneficial during my time on this course so far. Due to the initial study tasks I have learnt important principles regarding typesetting and grid layout that will be incredibly valuable to me in the future when creating similar designs and editorial layouts. I have also had the chance to experiment with practical design solutions through bookbinding, continuous lighting photography, 3D type and screen printing that have been both informative and enjoyable.

The 'what is a book?' brief was really enjoyable and gave me the chance to be really ambitious and experimental. Unfortunately budget became an issue in areas but it gave me a good chance to test my problem solving skills. I came across a lot of issues especially when screen printing but now after spending a lot of time perfecting my technique its improved my knowledge of how to effectively use it. The relief and proud feeling of finishing the book was brilliant and the positive feedback and reassurance that the concept of the book was clear without in depth explanation was great. 

The typesetting aspect of the book took a long time as I kept re-doing it but this was beneficial as it taught me the best ways of creating a pleasing layout and neat rag. I was really happy with the final look of it and getting gratification for the time I spent on this was good as I noticed in comparison to a few other designs mine had been more carefully considered and it definitely payed off.

I think this module has begun to transform me into a designer who prefers to work with hands on and physical creative things rather than purely digital. This will effect my personal practice and the way I choose to approach briefs and design treatments in future. Every decision I made during the module was informed by research, content and concept which made my outcome so much stronger. Learning the importance of this and how to use the main principles within design effectively has greatly improved the standard of my work (in my opinion) and hopefully will continue to do this.





PRINT ME

No comments:

Post a Comment