Friday 2 October 2015

~ Development - design process - OUGD504 ~



After the interim crit I had a few elements of my design I decided to change and develop to be more effective. Firstly I edited down the type so there was less content and it was much more straight to the point and looked less cramped. 

As part of my feedback I decided to use patterns that represent the sections of the design process to fill the blank spaces. Thinking back to the research done into Kate Moross and her design process (DIY) I felt creating something analogue with my own hands to show a contrast between digital and diy approaches to design. 




I used a brush pen to create a series of patterns to represent each of the 7 steps in my leaflet. I started with arrows and messy lines to represent the research and quite chaotic and panic stricken first stages when you have all these unrefined ideas rushing around your head. Then created neater and neater patterns at the steps drew towards the finished product which I represented as straight lines.


I scattered the patterns around the design into the folded sections of the leaflet near the matching point in the process. I feel this looks really effective as its an abstract way of showing the unscrambling and neatening out of ideas throughout without distracting your eye too much away from the written content.

I also decided to change the colour scheme to yellow and black to make the leaflet bright, eye catching with an energetic and positive vibe. The incorporation of the colour and new pattern elements contrasts brilliantly and looks really bold. I like how rough the illustrations look in comparison to the clean typeface (Gill Sans), it gives a real feel of variety and represents a range of possible aesthetic styles which can also be combined during the design process. I left flushed the type and typeset it so the rag was neat and there was no rivers/orphans, I felt following modernist rules for the type to contrast the more postmodern illustrations would further the concept and aesthetic of the design.




For the back of the leaflet I decided to continue one of the simpler patterns in yellow to keep the whole design consistent and incorporated into the concept. I will present my design in the final crit to see if the changes i've made have developed the design into being more or less effective and prepare for buying stock and producing the final leaflet.




No comments:

Post a Comment