Thursday 8 October 2015

~ Digital logo development - logo starter - OUGD504 ~


The first digital design I tried out was the idea to combine leaves with a clock. I felt the design lacked content, you cannot tell what the logo is for without having type alongside it so it seems like an inappropriate design.


This is a design created using the Q and V from the business' name. Once again I felt the logo wasn't relevant enough to the product and wouldn't bring anything to the brand.


I created this leaf combined logo, but during a crit with a few peers it was pointed out it looks a little inappropriate. 

I expanded on the clock design but instead used the negative space idea and incorporated a knife and fork. It still includes the clock concept but its now more clear that its a food product therefore a lot more effective.

My next idea was partly inspired by the current logo. I like the inclusion of a bowl to make you awake it's a food business whilst being subtle and minimal with the design. The design on the right was a start of a rounded bowl design, I added some patterns and colour but I felt the overall rounded style of the design seemed a little childish and not brand appropriate. 



I developed this idea further by working on the negative space idea and incorporating leaves to make it more specific to the target audience. I felt this design was really effective as it combines both the bowl symbol (represents food) and the leaves (symbolises veganism and environmental awareness) all within a minimal negative space logo. I decided to add the wavy lines to represent the microwave element of the product and also make the bowl shape look more complete. I did briefly experiment with a more rounded design but I think this looks more aimed at a younger audience and less professional.


I'd initially been using a turquoise color for my experiments. But to finalise the design I changed it to a much brighter and pure green as I think it reflects the natural theme a lot better without the blue tones. 


I did some experiments when choosing a typeface. I wanted to choose one that was available widely on most digital software for ease of use for both me and the client and anyone else who may collaborate with the project in the future.


For the typeface I chose to use Futura regular, firstly the typeface is free and available on most programmes so it would be easy to use throughout and additional branding in the future (website etc.) even if i'm not the designer working on the project. Futura is designed based upon equal geometrical shapes, the perfect form gives the idea of high quality and equality. I decided not to use capitals as I feel lowercase type gives off a well rounded and friendly look which will create a good brand personality which is important for customer relation. 


Having a clean and simple logo means it can be adapted onto all forms of material. It can be used to overlay photos, be easily screen printed, embroidered and more.


Example of the logo overlaying one of the projects images.
I experimented with adding some subtle shadows. I'm not sure weather the added 3d effect is more appealing or just takes away from the minimal style. It's something I will address when getting feedback from peers. 

Moving on from the logo design I decided I wanted to look into the further branding of the business. Branding to me is creating a personality of a product that seems appealing to the target audience. I think the most appropriate way to go about doing this would be to possibly expand the colour pallet and use bright bold colours to grab the audience's attention and represent the exotic recipes used in the products.



I emailed the client showing him some of the logo experiments produced so far asking if he had any changes to make. He said he liked the logos and asked about pricing. I offered a quote of £100 for the logo then additional charges for any other branding he may want designing. He got back to me with the measurements of packaging he also needs designing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment