Thursday 7 January 2016

~ Design production - studio brief 2 - logostarter - design boards & evaluation ~






This brief allowed me to create a design live for the requirements of an actual client. It gave me a new perspective as I was now designing specifically to please the client and appeal to the target audience. 

The brief began with the exploration of logo design something i've personally not had a lot of experience with. It allowed me to think about the product in terms of semiotics; the semiotics of vegan food usually being leaves, nature, green etc. The combination of this new dimension of thinking and looking at things from the audiences perspective lead to a strong logo design. Negative space in particular is something I find is incredibly effective when executed well within logo design. My final logo expresses the iconic leaves associated with vegan food as well as showing the product being food with the appearance of the bowl.

Considerations into colour were also hugely influenced by the client himself. Images of the food itself were provided as advertisement on the Kickstarted page. This allowed me to swatch from these images creating the most informed and appropriate colour pallets as possible. 

The second element of the brief was to create deliverables. Communication with the client himself allowed me to create the most appropriate deliverables possible. The recommended and most obvious choice for food was packaging. His size specifications and input on aesthetic made this element effective and easy for me to construct successfully. Each element of the packagings design was informed by the origins of the recipes and the fact the food is vegan (being the main selling point).

The production element of the packaging was probably the most informed and considered element due to the target audience. Research told me one of the appealing factors of a vegan diet is its positive effect on the environment; suggesting the target audience would look for and appreciate products and packaging that are considerate of this. Research into varying production methods that are environmentally friendly was beneficial to me as I didn't realise how many different options there were; from recycled to recyclable in all different mediums. In the end I discovered G.F.Smiths manifesto for the environment which lead me to choose a paper that fits the target audience specifications aesthetically (as it also looks recycled). Discovering this will effect my production considerations in future as personally as a designer I aspire to create work that is friendly to the planet; the benefit of using G.F.Smith stock regularly as part of my production specifications also is that most commercial print facilities have good communication and previous relationships with them already making it easy to get hold of. 

Lastly the brief allowed me to consider methods of professional promotion that can be easily produced (in this case specifically for start up businesses with small budgets.) I explored local production of stickers in particular for this project as I wanted to show how easy it would be to commercially produce something like this even on a personal scale and it still be affordable.

No comments:

Post a Comment