Friday 8 January 2016

~ Feathr - design process ~

I decided I wanted to initially create a simple bold pattern/texture design for the wallpaper. 


I wanted to experiment with the physical method of creating a repeat pattern initially so I could develop this as a skill. I created an abstract pattern; I felt when viewed as a whole wallpaper this could be really striking. It's also something that could go with any sort of interior due to it's simplicity. Considering the competition winner is chosen via number of public votes I wanted to try appeal to all audiences.



Once scanner there was a lot of glitches in the pattern where things didn't fit quite right; I attempted to fix these in illustrator and above is the final result. Unfortunately I didn't want to submit this design incase any of the issues in transition from hand rendered to digital had been missed. So for my next design I decided to create my design straight onto a digital platform (Photoshop).

For my second design I decided to go down a different route and explore the idea of producing sketches of famous and iconic works of art. I feel this design will show the contrast between traditional artwork and the new age digital artwork that is much more common in contemporary creative disciplines; hopefully creating a mutual appreciation of them both.

A list of possible artists to feature are -
Salvidor Dali
Egon Schiele
Leonardo Da Vinci
Vincent van Gogh
Edvard Munch
Sandro Botticelli 
Gustav Klimt 
Hokusai
Michelangelo
Rene Magritte 
Andy Warhol






I followed the online tutorial using the split and stick technique to create a repeat pattern tile that fit together perfectly and followed the guidelines specified in the brief.


Although the concept behind the design had changed I still wanted to keep the bold and bright aesthetic of the pop pattern style i'd previously explored. I chose blue and yellow as they are both bright positive colours that contrast each other well. I created simple illustrations that were not detailed enough to be too alike the original works and expressed the new age digital illustration style well.



As you can see the pattern fits together well and each element flows with each other due to the continuity of colour and stroke width (I used a drawing tablet to create the design which allowed me to ensure this). I think it expresses the contrast between eras of art and even the how the definition of art has changed itself. Overall the design is a literal interpretation of the brief and the description then used that they wanted 'wallpaper that is art'.



The design had to be submitted at 72dpi as a tile; the site then mocks up what the design would look like as wallpaper. The process from now is the public visitors to the site can rate your design out of 5 and the top designs will be considered for use and creation of actual wallpaper, you win a cash prize and royalties if chosen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment