Thursday 7 January 2016

~ Design production - studio brief 4 - sony music - design boards & evaluation ~






This brief allowed me to explore web design for the first time and I realise now its not one of my strengths making this a massive benefit in understanding the requirements needed when working alongside a web developer. The purpose of the web design was to act as a temporary platform to promote the pre-sales of a new album; the key aspect I took from this was to include opportunities to buy and share at every point within the site.

The biggest eye-opener in this brief was the importance of user experience considerations when designing for web. The effect just simple transitions and changes in colour for example when you click on something can dramatically effect click through rates. Knowledge of these considerations in web production will help me when pitching web design prototypes to clients in future as I can pitch to them that my inclusion of responsive buttons and elements of the site will positively influence user experience.

It was beneficial having this brief explained to us by Only studio to have their insight and experience help us direct the designs in the right way. They explained how the more overcomplicated the sites design (specifically in amount of wireframes) the longer developing it would take and the more it would cost. This informed my decision to design something using a small amount of wireframes that could be used diversely throughout the site in every format (desktop, mobile and tablet).

Web design has never really been an appealing area within graphic design to me but I took this brief as an opportunity to explore other digital production methods I enjoy that can work collaboratively with it. In the digital age people concentration and focus is lost very quickly, a way to engage with users further and more effectively is through movement. This sparked the idea to produce a kinetic video background (my diverse 'floating' style of layout allowed for this concept). The aesthetic and techniques were influenced by artist research and the personal influences behind the bands music. The theme of kinetic backgrounds lead to idea of having the music videos playing as the actual background of the website, this would be effective in capturing the audiences attention instantly and promoting sharing. 

The brief allowed me to consider which files and elements I would need to send to a web developer and the best ways to communicate my ideas to them. I find description through words with something so complex would be far to complicated. Instead for the prototypes I created a series of moving Gif's to communicate visually with the developers as its the most clear way to do so. The use of web prototyping software JustInMind and Photoshop allowed me to clearly show the responsive elements of the site that make it effective. Considerations into format and mouse/touch were key in designing for multiple platforms. For example hover is an option and can be used for positive effect when designing for desktop, but on touch screen devices its not available so this has to be edited in accordance and is a consideration during production for the designer.

Overall I don't think web design will ever be something that particularly grabs my attention but its beneficial to know the things needed to include during a package for a developer. I also discovered other digital skills and interests of mine that can be put in to practice as part of web design. 

No comments:

Post a Comment