Tuesday 26 January 2016

~ Secret 7 - The Jam ~


The idea of non conformity is something I wish to express within my design by manipulating simple geometry and symbolism informed by the bands style and culture. 


This initial experimentation shows where i've taken the iconic mod symbol and played around with it to show it 'melting' and becoming fluid. This is the kind of outcome i'd like my final design to express but executed in an effective and relevant way.

As a part of this brief I wanted to experiment with different techniques for each of my outcomes. Due to the songs title 'art school' I feel its most relevant to use a markmaking/hands on process to create the design.


Each year the holders of the competition send out blank sleeves to design upon around the country. If I can get hold of one of these it gives me the opportunity to think of a design that can be fully appreciated in person and looks preferable to a digital version. This possibility made me think about approaching this song with papercutting.


Papercutting is a technique that can only be fully appreciated in person as a digital scan/photograph of the design doesnt allow you to fully see the intricacy of the cuts and time gone into it. So this lead to the decision to produce a papercut method design for this song. 


This is my final papercut before it was placed upon the physical entry sleeve. I used a bright off-red colour stock as it was the right gsm to be easily cut and effective in depicting the iconic colour that surrounded The Jam and Mod culture at the time the song was released. 




This is my final submission for the physical element of secret 7 - The Jam. I think it successfully delivers a concept incorporating the era and social movements surrounding the time. It also shows my interpretation of the song and whole culture of art school and breaking the boundaries of standardised society. 



No comments:

Post a Comment