Thursday 7 January 2016

~ OUGD504 module evaluation ~

This module has allowed me to explore design production within a realistic professional and commercial environment. Rather than limiting my design decisions to techniques available to me within the university I expanded my knowledge and concepts to that of professional print and digital development. Exploring these options also showed me how the mass production of things can limit design as some things are inconvenient or effect price to drastically to ever be realistic: an example of this being in studio brief one, my outcome is effective within my personal practice but the folding techniques would be too complicated for standard folding machines. These considerations are realistic of every day graphic design practice and something I should think about throughout all of my work. The module overall showed me clearly the different considerations needed when designing for screen and designing for print; specifically file types (jpeg, gif etc.) and things like bleed, creep needed for print. 

I think the module has taught me valuable lessons on prototyping and how important it is to do multiple as in industry if something was to go to print without being finished perfectly it would be too late to re-run. It's opened me up to the possibilities of identifying with colour in a variation of ways such as adding bespoke pantone spot colours to print jobs; in professional use some companies use specific colours for their branding and the colour needs to appear the same on all variations of stock and media.

One element of design production I wish i'd explored further in this module is mark-making and traditional print methods. It was beneficial for me to learn digital techniques and to explore mass production greatly but its the more traditional bespoke methods that interest me the most personally. In future I will be sure to consider both as a final outcome as I believe for example something screen printed rather than digitally printed is worth more and appreciated more by an artistic audience especially. 

I found studio brief 4 the biggest challenge as every aspect of its execution was digital and I personally find it hard to concentrate on a computer screen for long amounts of time. Its allowed me to be able to say that I can offer the service of web design to possible clients but personally its something id rather stay clear from. But during the exploration of web design production i've found other skills such as video and animation that are transferable to web design.

I feel my favourite outcome from this module is the logo produced for studio brief two (logo starter). The semiotics of the design are clear and easily communicated to the target audience making it transferable to all kinds of media. Logo design was previously something I wasn't confident with but now I feel branding is something I should explore much further. I applied it effectively to varying deliverables for packaging and promotion of the business. To design for a real company with clear and direct objectives within the branding is a valuable thing to be included within my portfolio. 

Another part of exploring production I found really interesting was out-sourcing stock and sources of finishing. Stock is something that personally amazes me as a designer, each type, colour, texture can completely change the overall feel of a piece of design. The way certain stocks react with printing and finishing techniques create an endless list of possibilities to be discovered. I look forward to using the finishing techniques I researched but didn't use within this module in the future and seeing what benefits and effects they have on the overall piece. 

I think overall the module will have a beneficial effect on my portfolio as the skill to understand production considerations and the differences between digital, printed and traditional media is important for a graphic designer. To be able to display variations of outcomes that clearly state informed decisions according to choices and limitations of production shows a clear design process (explored in studio brief one). The module has completely changed my design process as previously I would of just created final pieces without considering how the use of certain finishes, folds or even bespoke cropping (di cutting) could effect cost and possibility: but now these things will be taken into consideration before any prototypes are made to avoid wasting time and money. This development in my personal way of thinking in terms of graphic design shows how beneficial the module has been to my practice. 

I have enjoyed the module and found parts extremely challenging but all to my benefit. I feel like I can now design to a point of professional level that my designs could be took into mass production. I need to improve my weakness' in prototyping and time management; as I feel with better time management I could create final outcomes to a higher standard. I also plan to play to my strengths more and be more inclusive of the things that personally interest me; particularly screen printing. Screen printing is something id love to do professionally and use within final production but I need to explore its limitations, negatives and benefits in commercial production before doing so. The module has taught me a lot more technical skills that improve ease of communication between me as the designer and second parties (web developers and print companies). Technical awareness when it comes to setting up files depending on variations of print method and web publication have also greatly imporved. 


No comments:

Post a Comment